The Diamond in the Crown - Honoured to Help

 The Lighthouse is the diamond in the crown of Rose Blanche and area. The Lighthouse was built in 1873 and restored in 1996. To read more about the Lighthouse, click here https://katie-lew.blogspot.com/2019/07/the-diamond-in-crown.html

Last winter, one the tower windows blew out, and now once again, winter is just around the corner. The Lighthouse sits high above the ocean, perched on barren rock and is open to the worst of what the north Atlantic can throw it, vicious winds, rain, snow, sleet and salt spray.

Five days before we were booked to leave Rose Blanche for the season and return to Ontario, I had this year's Katie-Lew cottage projects completed and had just started my list of projects for next summer. I thought the last few days were going to be filled with rest, relaxation and saying our annual goodbyes in the community. My world was in order until I read a request on Facebook from the Lighthouse Committee for someone to help repair a plexiglass window in the Lighthouse tower.

At my ripe age of 69, my working days are nicely behind me, and normally with time on my hands I enjoy helping other folks and volunteer when it suits. I'm always proud to put my life's experiences to good use. My only real concern is that I never want my volunteer efforts to undercut someone trying to earn a living, and try hard to stay on the right side of that line.

About forty years ago, I made a few things out of plexiglass when I worked for the National Research Council. I worked at some moderate heights back in the1980s or 90s when building a couple of chimneys, and helped shingle a few roofs in my day. So at a glance, I thought I may have something to offer the Committee.

You may have noted, some of my experience is somewhat aged. I never really felt comfortable working 20 or 30 feet above the ground, and in the last few years much of the confidence I had in my 20s and 30s has been left behind. But, my life's experience has also been, even though  I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, it can be an interesting adventure to start down the road to see what's there. So, after a little consultation with folks from the Lighthouse Committee and with their support, we started up the inside of the lighthouse tower to take a look.

When I got into the tower, the light was going around and around, but that wasn't the light I needed to see. I saw the inside of a weather beaten tower, and my first thought was, what I have got myself into?.  One of the 16 window panes was missing, and a couple more were ready to get blown out with the up and coming winter winds. A closer look revealed that 20 years ago,  the windows had been fastened from the outside. There was a walkway around the outside but I couldn't get there because the tiny porthole door had been riveted shut from the outside.

When the Lighthouse was rebuilt, the windowed cupola was constructed on the ground and hoisted into place with a helicopter. They fastened the window panes with aluminum strips, but the aluminum corroded with the sea salt. Many of the fastening screws were also corroded and sheared off.

We discussed putting in a temporary window on the inside, but that was going to be difficult and probably not very effective.

I felt honoured to help but I only had a few days. I thought, I need more time, but more than that, I needed to come up with a plan to fix the diamond in the crown.

To continue, click the link below:

Honoured to Help but I Needed a Safety Harness