Honoured to Help but I Needed a Safety Harness

 After getting back to Katie-Lew, a plan started to take shape in my mind. We needed to break open the porthole door and ultimately modify it so we could access the outside for not only this repair but also to allow future inspection, maintenance and repairs. I was uncertain of the structural integrity of the outside railing and walkway, but I needed to get around to the missing window opening and take accurate measurements.

We developed a list of materials required for the repair and  Committee members stepped up to provide  support.

Working alone outside the tower was not going to be safe but Marlene had shown some interest in the project. Fortunately, her and I are relatively small and agile enough to climb up the ladder and through a small opening in the floor of the tower's cupola.

The next morning, Marlene and I headed up into the lighthouse tower. An inspection of the ladder to the cupola showed one of two bolts sheared off. We made a temporary repair and continued up and in.




  After an hour or so, we had removed the tiny porthole door to the outside. To be safe, I fastened a rope around my waist, and with Marlene as anchor, I made my way around the outside of the cupola on the walkway. It felt pretty high, and there was a 25 kph wind with gusts blowing to 35. It's almost always windy at the lighthouse.

The railing though badly corroded seemed secure enough, and  fortunately, the stone and mortar walkway seemed OK too. A quick inspection of all the windows revealed a lot of work was needed. There's often talk of icebergs here in Newfoundland, and the one missing window pane, was just the tip of the iceberg.




When out and about at the top, I got the measurements needed but my confidence was shaky. I felt honoured to help, but before going out there again, I needed a safety harness.

To continue, click the link below:

Honoured to Help with Support of the Community